Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Cuffed Ironwood Tree

Strange Formation on Ironwood Tree (Ostrya virginiana)-1.jpg
Ostrya virginiana

We found this interesting formation on one of the ironwood trees in the forest. It is as if the branch is growing out of a cuff and sleeve. I don't know how the damage to the tree occurred. Perhaps this new branch grew out of the scar of a broken off branch. It was an odd thing to see. At first I thought the formation was some type of hive on the tree.

Ironwood trees are also called American Hophornbeam, hardhack and leverwood. The wood is as strong as iron and was used for levers and ax handles.




_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails