Friday, December 10, 2010

Hickory Tussock Moth Larva

hickorytussockmoth  15.jpg
Lophocampa caryae

I am doing as I always do: unable to decide which photo is best or more engaging, I post all. There were a few of these caterpillars about this year. As far as I can tell, this is not an invasive or noxious or pesky species. It can defoliate a bush or two once in awhile, but it doesn't seem to get out of control. What I don't know is if the spines on the caterpillar will irritate the skin if touched. Therefore, the rule is "don't touch caterpillars." I especially tell the kids this. I don't want any nasty rashes popping up on the kids!

hickorytussockmoth  03.jpg

hickorytussockmoth  18.jpg




_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails