|Vermonter Engine 111|
Genesis Series 1 Locomotive, Engine 111,
Model P42DC with 4,250 horsepower.
Built August 1997 in Erie, PA
The successor to the P40DC, this unit was first produced in 1997. It has an output of 4,250 horsepower (3,170 kW), or 3,875 horsepower (2,890 kW) when running in HEP mode (900 rpm). The P42 has a top speed of 110 mph (177 km/h), while VIA Rail Canada only permits these units to travel at a top speed of 100 mph (160.9 km/h). Tractive effort is rated at 394 kN (88,570 lbf) of starting effort and 267 kN (60,000 lbf) of continuous effort.
This unit is used primarily on most of Amtrak's long haul and high speed service outside the Northeast Corridor as well as high speed service on VIA Rail's Quebec City-Windsor rail corridor when it replaced the LRC locomotives in 2001.
Genesis Series 1 Locomotive, Engine 111, Model P42DC with 4,250 horsepower. Built August 1997 in Erie, PA
* Model: P42DC 110 mph, 4200 hp, 800 kW HEP
* Arrangement: B-B, high speed
* Weight: 266,000 lbs.
* Engine Model: 7FDL16, 4 stroke cycle, with EFI
* Alternator: 1 - GMG195
* Motors: 4 - GE752AH DC motors, axle suspended
* Head End Power: 1 - GTA33 alternator, 800 kW, 480 V, 3 phase, 60 Hz, microcomputer control
* Air Brake Schedule: 26L Integrated Electronic Air Brake Control
* Auxiliary Equipment: Radiator Fan (AC): 1 GYA30
* Equipment Blowers (AC): 2 - GDY76
* Alternator Blower (AC): 1 GDY74
* Dynamic Brake Blowers (DC): 2 - GDY72
* Air Compressor: 1 - WABCO 3CDCLA Air Compressor
* Drive/Control: AC motor - microcomputer control
* Motor: 40 hp
* Configuration & Features:
o Aerodynamic monocoque carbody
o Enhanced collision capability
o Cab signal equipped - Microcabmatic by GRS
o Microcomputer-based integrated control, full diagnostics
o Segmented, spill resistant fuel tank
o Automatic parking brake
o Remote engine starting