Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wildflowers and Berries

Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)?
Click on the photo to see the set.
The question mark is because we don't think it mountain laurel yet there it is. These plants (and they are spreading) never grow more than ground height. Mountain laurel should get huge over the years. But the leaves and flowers are exactly what you would expect mountain laurel to be.
UPDATE: See my Correction: Sheep Laurel post.

Purple Spiderwort (Tradescantia rosea)
(click on photo to be taken to the set)

American Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
Click on the photo to go to the set.
The fruit is edible (jam, wine) but all other parts of the plant are poisonous. Here you see the red berry before it ripens and turns black. Which I'll never see. Less than a day after this photo, the birds had eaten every last berry. There were hundreds on this one bush alone.

Hop Clover (Trifolium aureum, also Trifolium agrarium)
Click on the photo to see the set.

Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
Click on the photo to see the set.
I saw some cultivated yellow marrow in Sunapee this past weekend and love it. I'll be planting that next year.

Kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa) Female flower
I thought kiwi was a tropical fruit. Apparantly not. I'll let you know what kiwi tastes like if we get fruit. For some reason, I never focused right on these kiwifruit flowers. But I saved the shots anyhow, thank goodness, because now the flowers are gone by.

Technorati Tags: ,
_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails