Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday at the Bird Feeders


It was a beautiful day at the feeders today. We began the day at -4°F (-20°C) but ended up close to 30°F (-1°C) with a strong sun. I filled up the feeders and sat back and waited with the camera. Above, the dozens of redpolls swooped in. Some with rosy breasts, most without. They are eating me out of thistle like you wouldn't believe.

A flock of blue jays steals the squirrels' peanuts. They stuff as many as can fit into their beak.

I had both downy and hairy woodpeckers (but I no longer try to identify which is which). The nuthatches were out, also, but I never had a chance to photograph them.

Four squirrels were eating peanuts and seed from the ground. They fought often and chased each other across the field.

But suddenly, all animals at the feeders flew and ran for the woods. There was a streak of ginger in my view finder as George blasted from the front of the house and out to the woods chasing squirrels. He came back soon enough and waited under the bird tree for a careless eater. Spring must be on the way!

Update: Nope. No spring yet. Our winter storm watch has been updated to a winter storm warning. At this time they are predicting 9 inches more tomorrow with wind and windchill temps below zero. (This link will expire as we move in time past the storm.)
_/\_/\_

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful photographs. Sounds like that storm is really going to get you according to our TV weatherman. Keep warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails