Monday, September 17, 2007

Mourning Cloak Butterfly Nest?



This summer while searching for a way up Barton Mountain, Wingnut and I came across this nest in a wild apple tree. It is probably a tent caterpillar nest, which produces a brown moth. But all of the caterpillars were vibrating with the same rhythm, which was quite amazing to see. I read something about such a vibration with the caterpillars of the mourning cloak butterfly, so I am hoping that this is what we saw. Information on the web is very non-specific. If you know anything, please leave a comment.

When clicked, this photo will open, full size, in a new window.

Technorati tags:
_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails