Sunday, December 4, 2011

Monarch Butterfly

Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus)-2.jpg
Danaus plexippus

I remember well the day I spied a monarch butterfly on May Pond Road. I stopped the car and followed it as it restlessly flitted from plant to plant in the ditch of the road. These are not the best photos of this year's monarchs, but they were the first of the season.

Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus)-8.jpg
I enjoy seeing what butterflies look like underneath.

Monarchs and viceroys look pretty much alike, except for one thing (maybe two): the viceroy has a horizontal black band that crosses the vertical black bands on the wings. I don't notice too much difference in size between the two. I actually don't get too excited about monarchs. They are not exceptionally beautiful to me. I get excited about new butterflies that I don't yet have in my collection.

 
 

_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails