Monday, June 6, 2011

Cockspur Hawthorn

Cockspur Hawthorn (Crataegus crus-galli)-7.jpg
Crataegus crus-galli

I was thrilled when John found an entire grove of hawthorn trees here! I have wanted one for ages. Now I have tons of them. They are strange trees: thin and tall. They are getting more sunshine now since John has logged the area. They don't get leaves first and then blossoms: they both come at the same time. They look like apple blossoms, of course. This photo was taken just when the blossoms opened. A couple of days later they looked different (photos in the future). I look forward to watching the hawthorn apples grow!

When my daughter Amelia was horseback riding as a teenager, the horse took her under a low branch of something and Amy ended up with a huge thorn in her arm that had to be removed surgically. We had no idea then what that thorn was. Now I know: it was a hawthorn thorn. The thorns are so huge that they can go through your eye into your brain if you are not careful when hiking in these old woods. Seriously.




_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails