Thursday, December 23, 2010

Geometer Moth Larva

geometer moth larva  03.jpg

Geometer moths (click here for my images) are a large family of moths. They are called geometer moths because their larva were said, by ancient people, to be measuring the earth with their looping, inchworm like movements. There are more than 1,600 species of geometer moths in North America alone. So while I know this is a geometer larva, I don't know which one. This one was on the leaves of our day lilies in August.

geometer moth larva  05.jpg

Other common names for geometer larvae are measuring worms, inchworms, loopers and spanworms.

geometer moth larva  07.jpg




_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails