Friday, October 1, 2010

A Red Admiral Sipping Water

Vanessa atalanta
During the heat wave in July I would find butterflies (if I was courageous enough to brave the heat and go outside) drinking water from damp areas in the bluestone driveway. Apparently, butterflies can sip molecules of water from the earth. If you dampen the earth, the butterflies will come drink. Here you can see the proboscis in the dirt while the butterfly drinks. I chose these two photographs so that you can see the top colorful part of the wings (below) and the brown, intricately patterned bottom of the wing (above).




_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails