Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Moon

Waxing gibbous moon (7)

This is a waxing gibbous moon photographed on July 20, 2010 in Barton, Vermont. I found a decent explanation of the names of the phases of the moon at http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question3.html. They used a nice drawing (or, cartoon) to explain gibbous, waxing and waning:

Waxing means growing larger; waning means growing smaller. Gibbous means “Characterized by convexity; protuberant; Phase of moon or planet between first quarter and full or between full and last quarter; Humpbacked (en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gibbous.”). And crescent means “any shape resembling the curved shape of the moon in its first or last quarters.” I had to draw a lot of pictures and think this all through several times before I became comfortable with the phrase waxing gibbous moon. I hope it is easier for you!

There is quite a bit of distortion on the right side of the photograph here. I think it’s from the 250mm lens because it showed up on the unedited raw image that this jpeg was created from. John told me to photoshop it out, but I don’t have the energy for doing that! We’ll all just have to live with it.

Flickr Tags:

Technorati Tags:

del.icio.us Tags:

_/\_/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails