Saturday, June 12, 2010

Drinking Butterflies

Back in the third week of May we had a heat wave (after two weeks of snow). We finally took the kids to cool off at the beach at Pageant Park on Crystal Lake. The eastern tiger swallowtails are all about in May, and we found dozens drinking water from a damp spot on the beach. I could only manage to get these two photographed, though, because I got too close and scared the rest away. I'll try again next year!

Technorati Tags:
Del.icio.us Tags:

Flickr Tags:


_/\_/\_

1 comment:

  1. If you can find a field of milkweed in bloom, you will find lots of these beautiful butterflies. Around here it blooms in late July and early August. When they are feeding and you move slowly or wait for them to come to you, you can get very good close-ups with a 200 to 400mm lens. However, seeing them all clustered like a bouquet, as I imagine you did, must be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails