Friday, May 21, 2010

The Cowslips Have Gone By

Caltha palustris

The cowslips here blossomed when it was still snowing every day the first two weeks of May. I had that nasty cold and really didn't feel like going into the bog to photograph them. So I didn't. But then Nate and John told me that there were some blooming in the apple orchard. This isn't a cultivated pretty little apple orchard. It's in the woods. The trees are ancient and bent and some are even on the ground. But they all bloom every year and produce tiny little apples that Amy picks. Because my brooks were moved decades ago, the orchard tends to flood, thus growing cowslips.

These cowslips are obviously past their prime. It's interesting how the color seems to wash off of them.

Cowslips in Vermont are actually marsh marigolds. But for some reason we all call them cowslips. Everywhere else cowslips are a type of primrose.

Technorati Tags:
Del.icio.us Tags:

Flickr Tags:


diigo it

_/\_/\_

1 comment:

  1. I like your description of the effect of time on color. Color vanishes like an ornament, it seems.

    Thanks to your description, I can imagine that orchard!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails