Saturday, June 27, 2009

Northern Redback Salamander

Plethodon cinereus

John found this little salamander for me to photograph. He is holding it in the palm of his hand. It moves so fast that it was very, very difficult for me to photograph. This is my first salamander photo.
NH Conservation Status: Not listed.
State Rank Status: Widespread and secure, abundant.
Distribution: Throughout NH.
Description: A small (2-4 inches) dark salamander with a reddish or orange stripe down the back from the head to tail. There is also a “leadback” phase where the body is uniformly dark. Both phases have a white and black “salt and pepper” speckled belly.
Commonly Confused Species: Northern two-lined salamander, Four-toed salamander.
Habitat: Wooded areas. Found underground or underneath logs, stumps, rocks, and moist leaf litter. During rainy nights, may climb vegetation in search of prey.
Life History: Eggs are deposited within or under rotting logs and stumps. Hibernates underground in decaying root systems.
Conservation Threats: Species is secure.


Technorati Tags:
_/\_/\_

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I love salamanders. I've always had a penchant for unusual pets and I had a pet salamander once as a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails