Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Life Cycle of Interrupted Ferns

above and below: fiddleheads from May 4, 2008 on a bank of a mountain brook in my woods

below: after six days of growth — May 10, 2008




When clicked, these photos will open, full size, in a new window.
Identified by: Professor David Barrington
Professor of Plant Biology
Director, Pringle Herbarium
University of Vermont
webpage: http://www.uvm.edu/~plantbio/?Page=faculty.php&NAME=barrington

According to Dr. Barrington: "Your fern is the interrupted fern, Osmunda regalis. The white hairs are characteristic of our three Osmunda species, and among these interrupted fern is the only one in which the spore producing capsules are produced in the middle of the leaves."

In the upcoming days, I will be posting the rest of the photos of this fern as it grows.

Technorati Tags:
_/\_/\_

1 comment:

  1. Really good shots of the fiddleheads! My ex who was from Maine loved to eat them. I've never seen them growing (just on the dinner plate).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails