Friday, September 10, 2010

Yellow Wood Sorrel

Oxalis europaea
This pretty flower grows from a shamrock type plant, thus it is named sorrel. The stem is hairy and the leaves are deeply notched. The leaves also fold up in the distinctive way you see here. It is interesting to compare yellow wood sorrel with white wood sorrel (Oxalis montana) that you can see in my post here. The yellow bloom is much larger than the white. I photographed this yellow wood sorrel in the woods behind the house in early July. Yellow wood sorrel is also called sour grass.

Technorati Tags:  
Del.icio.us Tags:  
Flickr Tags:
 
_/\_/\_

1 comment:

  1. A pretty little blossom. I looked at the smaller white one and it looks like they are a sort of grown cover. Are they both very lower growing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on meeyauw's pad. I enjoy reading constructive comments, tips and ideas that help me improve my photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails